Friday, January 24, 2014

I Kissed Dating Goodbye

At the beginning of the second semester of my Sophomore year, I was still hung up on Kayla. Despite the clear sign from God that it wasn't to be and the fact that she lived 150 miles away from  me, I still found it very hard to let my feelings for her go. I had a crush on her for almost four years, so naturally it would be hard to let go, but I wanted nothing more than to let go. I was so sick of being stuck, unable to move forward. I didn't want to waste my life and energy one one girl when the right girl is still out there somewhere else. But then I was assigned a book to read. It was called I Kissed Dating Goodbye written by Joshua Harris.

      This book was all about how single life is a blessing and that we should take advantage of it and not wish it away too soon. Our youth is a gift. There are certain things that we need to do in our single youth to grow into the people we are going to be the rest of our lives.

     After reading this book, I found that its contents helped me. All this time I had been living in the future, dreaming of what my life would be like. I kept dreaming of what it would actually be like to start dating Kayla and that's probably why it was so hard to let go. I realized that what I was actually holding on to was an imaginary future that I had cooked up in my head. I was so preoccupied with one day getting to date her that I had been wasting my life away. I had been living in the future when I needed to live in the present. So, that day I kissed dating goodbye (though I technically never kissed it hello.) Before I could start dating anyone, I needed to grow. I needed to become the person I needed to be. I wasn't ready to date yet and until I was, I wasn't even going to let it cross my mind.

     While doing this didn't completely get me over Kayla, it did help. By living in the present, I was no longer clinging to the imaginary future; though it took a long time, I would eventually get completely over it. With a little help, that is. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment