Saturday, August 23, 2014

I Hate Everything about You

I woke up with a start. I was relieved that what I had just witnessed was no more than a dream, though when I was dreaming, it seemed so real. Only two other dreams had been so real and vivid. The first occurred when I was only 6 years-old. I dreamed that my family and I went on vacation, but while we were away, the woods across from my house caught fire. The fire was spreading fast and wild, so logically the military was brought in (that is, logical in the mind of a 6 year-old.) To put out the fire they began shooting it with their machine guns (yeah, like I said, "logical.") And just the second before I woke up I saw a bald man's hair catch on fire. . . The second dream was just about as weird. I was 11 and I dreamed that I was attacked and eaten by a creature made completely of cottage cheese. As preposterous as that sounds, it felt real to me. I could even feel the individual curds of cheese before I woke up. As vivid as these two dreams were, they didn't hold a candle to how real my nightmare was.

     Generally I would have just brushed the whole thing off as "just a dream" and been fine with it. However, I have a rather superstitious side - well maybe not superstitious, maybe a little sticious. I had been having dreams of late that had been coming true. For instance, I dreamed one night that my church's pastor was going to leave and preach somewhere else. The next morning, he calls my dad to tell him that he is moving to Iowa to preach there. I once dreamed that my friend, Jess, began dating a guy with a stupid goatee. A year later she began dating a guy with a stupid goatee. Now, I'm not one to believe in precognition, but the fact that the other dreams came true made me feel a little uneasy. It made the possibility of my nightmare coming to life a little more realistic. That was almost scarier than the dream was.

     The next day at work, Ashlee came up to me and said, "Stop parking next to me! I know you do it just to annoy me."

     "Ashlee," I said, "I still don't know why that annoys you, but I didn't park next to you. I've been working for the past four hours and you just got here. You parked next to me."

     "Jeez, Nash, I was just messing with you. You don't need to be such a stick in the mud."

     "Whatever," I say.

     "What, no comeback?" She asks as I begin to walk out the door.

     About a half hour later, Emma says, "Ashlee says you are acting weird. I told her, 'How is that any different than usual?'"

     "That's pretty funny," I said, "no, but I had a really disturbing dream involving her the other night." A look of fear and worry came over Emma's face. "I dreamed that she and I were married." The look on her face was quickly replaced by a cheesy grin and she began to laugh with a hearty "BAHAHA!"

     "Yeah, real funny," I said, "but it scared the crap outta me."

     "I think you are secretly in love with her." She said still laughing.

     "I would rather rip my own finger nails out with pliers."

     "You like her and you know it."

     Oh, God I hope not. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment