Friday, April 18, 2014

The Worst Time to Wear a Hitler Mustache

As I have mentioned before, I was home schooled as a kid. However, that doesn't mean that we didn't do social things. For example, once a month a bunch of home school families would get together for socials like field trips or Wax Museums. For those of you that don't know, I am not referring to a literal museum of wax figurines. I am talking about an event where all the students would dress as historical figures and give a speech about their lives. It was at this that my next story takes place.

     Whenever I had to pick a historical figure to portray, I always liked to think a little outside the box. While other kids were George Washingtons, Thomas Jeffersons, and Nepoleons; I was being people like Zeus and Paul McCartney wearing his Sgt. Peppers uniform. But probably the most original idea I had was to be Charlie Chaplin and present my entire speech in the form of a silent movie. However, I couldn't just dress as Mr. Chaplin, I had to dress has his most famous character - The Little Tramp.

This wasn't a bad thing. I rather like the idea of dressing as the Little Tramp. I thought it would be fun. However, not three seconds after I don my garb of the greatest film maker of the silent movie era, I see Landon walk through the door and immediately after him, Rashaell. That's when I realized. . . I looked like a moron.

     The worst part, though was that I had misplaced my hat and cane. Without them I went from Charlie Chaplin to Adolf Hitler.

     I ducked and hid from Rash and went in search of my hat and cane. Along the way, I kept running into some of the parents and grandparents of the other students who kept asking me questions like, "Who are you supposed to be? Hitler?" After a while I got so sick of correcting them that I just started saying, "Yep, pretty much." A few people were taken aback by that, but at least it shut them up so I could continue my search.

     Then from behind, I heard a familiar voice say, "Nash? Is that you?" I turn around to see Rashaell.

     "Hey, I didn't know you were here." I lied.

     "Yeah, I came with Landon." She replied, "Who are you supposed to be? Charlie Chaplin?"

     I looked at her for a second, at bit surprised that she guessed right. "You are unbelievably cool." I said, "You wouldn't believe how many people have been asking me if I'm Hitler."

     "It was obvious to me. I mean, who would dress as Hitler anyway?"

     In the conversation that followed, I realized something: it didn't matter if I looked like a moron in front of Rashaell. I mean, she was dating Landon, that means she must love people who look like morons (yeah I know, low blow. But I was there, I had to go for it.) At any rate, I figured that even if I do look like a moron sometimes, I shouldn't have to hide that from her. If I ever get her to like me in the same way, I want her to like me for who I am. The Nerdy moron who dresses like Charlie Chaplin.

No comments:

Post a Comment