Friday, November 22, 2013

You Can't Handle the Truth

I was freaking out. I couldn't shake the feeling that the guy that Kayla had just introduced me to was her boyfriend. I kept trying to tell myself that he was her cousin or something, but the more I thought about it the less that scenario made since. He didn't look like he could be related to her at all. Not to mention, if they were cousins, it was one creepy-ass cousin relationship they had going. I was trying my best to be happy that Kayla was there, but that nagging feeling just kept getting larger. I had to find the truth.

     I made my way to the breakfast hall. My plan was to isolate one of Kayla's friends and get the truth out of her, but when I got there Kayla and her friends were all together. So much for that plan. Kayla waved me over to sit with them and a little while after I did, she got up with Evan to get some toast. Now's my chance, I thought, This plan isn't botched after all. As soon as Kayla was out of earshot, I asked Chelsea (the only one of Kayla's friends I knew) "So, who's that guy Kayla is with? I've never seen him before."

     "Who? Evan?" she replied.

     "Yeah, is he like her cousin or something?"

     "No," she laughed, "That's her boyfriend."

     And just like that, all my suspicions were confirmed. The happiness I felt about seeing Kayla was instantly replaced with the most crushing feeling. I shouldn't have asked. I should've just let things be and had a decent weekend. But no, I had to push for the truth. . . And I couldn't handle the truth. This marks the moment where the Summer of Darkness officially began. The period in my life that would shape my life to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment