Friday, October 11, 2013

The All-Powerful Popcorn Kernel of Truth

I said goodbye to "Muffins" (as I called her) after that weekend at Camp Heritage. Even though we swore on the Popcorn Kernel of Truth to see each other again, no matter the cost, I feared it was a oath I would not be able to keep. But that popcorn kernel had a strange magic about it. A magic that would bind you to your word. . .

     It was almost a year later in January when I took a trip to Sunny-dale Adventist Academy for a youth revival weekend. I had all but forgotten about The Girl in the Blue Hoodie, that is until day two of that weekend. I was standing in line at the lunch buffet that Saturday behind a girl I had taken notice of earlier that day. I was thinking about trying to talk to her, but where would I begin with that? I tried to think of how I could start a conversation with the girl ahead of me, and then it hit me. I tapped her (giggity) on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, but you look uncannily familiar. Have we met before?"

     She turned around and said, "Hi, Nash."

     As she turned to her friend and whispered about how she was right and how she knew it was me and that her friend owed her ten bucks now, her identity hit me like a truck load of bricks. She did look familiar and I now knew why. The girl standing in front of me was the Girl in the Blue Hoodie, only now she had forsaken the blue hoodie for a white, puffy coat with fur fringe around the hood. She had died her hair blond and cut it shorter. I couldn't believe it was her. Just like that, everything I felt for her when I first met her came flooding back. I stood shocked, not knowing what to say. All I could think of was, "The Popcorn Kernel of Truth. . . It worked."

     That got her to laugh and it eased my nerves a little. I could tell that this was going to be a great weekend. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment